Saturday 3 October 2015

Grilled Tempeh Breakfast

What an incredibly fateful morning! I was on my way to buy some supplies for my next blog post when I took a wrong turn. I ended up having to make a detour and got caught behind a vegan/animal rights protest called Animals Matter to Africa. I pulled over and ran to join them. I only caught the tail end of it, but I was so happy to see a bunch of vegans getting together to spread the word and stand up against animal cruelty.

Photo from Animals Matter to Africa event page

So, on to breakfast! This week I bought some tempeh from Tempestuous Tempeh. I hadn't tried it until now and was so glad to discover a local supplier who uses all organic ingredients. I was also very pleased to find how delicious it is, since I went out on a limb and bought an entire kilogram of the stuff!

If you're not sure what tempeh is, have a read here.


It's a pretty chilly morning in Sea Point, so I felt like something roasty and warm to start the day. I decided on a toast stack with grilled veggies and tempeh bacon. We usually don't have white bread in the house, but Kyle had to buy some yesterday when there were no healthier options at the little shop near his work. I have to admit, good old white bread is pretty delicious now and then.  


 
Fresh zucchini slices and whole garlic cloves make a lovely grilled combo.




Ingredients:

80-100g tempeh
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs water
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp brown sugar or xylitol
2 medium zucchini's, sliced length ways
2 medium tomatoes, sliced into 3
12 cloves garlic, peeled
2-3 tbs olive oil
2 slices toast
2 tbs B-Well vegan mayo
salt + pepper

Cut the tempeh into thin 3-4mm slices and marinate in a mixture of the soy sauce, water, liquid smoke and brown sugar for about 15 minutes. Place the zucchini and garlic on an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and place under the grill at 250 degrees C until golden brown. Turn them over half way so both sides are well grilled.

While the zucchini's and garlic are grilling, fry the tomato slices in a pan with a little olive oil until they are soft and slightly charred on either side. Do the same with the marinated tempeh.

Spread a tablespoon of mayo onto each slice of toast and stack all the ingredients on top, like a tower of delicious breakfasty goodness! Serves two, enjoy! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment