Thursday 3 September 2015

Sprouted Bean Curry

Growing sprouts is one of the most rewarding forms of gardening, especially for impatient people like me. In only two or three days, the little shoots of young energy start showing and in another day or two they are ready to be eaten. I often sprout a variety of beans and seeds at once and then have to give them away because they are so abundant.

Today I made a deliciously hot curry with all my sprouts for the week. 


I also recently discovered how beautifully bean curry is complimented by coconut flakes and raisins. I think its my new favourite combo!


Ingredients:

1 tsp olive oil (I am monitoring my oil intake, but you could increase this to two tbs for more flavour)
1 small onion
5-7 sliced chillies, seeds included (adjust to your hotness preference)
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 tsp jeera powder
1 tsp jeera seeds
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
1 cup red split lentils, well washed (the water should run clear)
1 cup sprouted chick peas
1 cup sprouted mung beans
1 cup sprouted adzuki beans
1 tin tomato onion mix
3 cups hot water 
coconut flakes and raisins for topping

On medium heat, fry the onion, garlic, chillies and spices for approx. 5 minutes. If you are using only a tsp of oil, you may need to add a spoonful of water to emulsify the spices. Add the sprouts and lentils and continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Add the tinned tomato and bring to the boil in the pan. Add the hot water a cup at a time, allowing it to cook with the lid on until the beans turn soft. 

Honestly, I actually did not measure the water I used, but use those cooking skills to make sure you have enough to cook the beans but not so much that it becomes too watery. Remove the lid when the beans are cooked and allow the sauce to reduce to a nice thick gravy. 

Makes 4-6 servings. Top with coconut flakes and raisins for extra deliciousness! 

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment